Sunday, October 16, 2011

Just Another Week In Spain...

Wow, time really does fly here. No matter how many times I say it, I always seem surprised by the appearance of another weekend! This past week wasn't anything special, just a lot of homework and some homesickness thrown in due to lack of things to keep me busy. I met with my intercambio on Thursday which helped snap me out of my funk, she took me all around Bilbao on a 3 hour personal tour! I saw things I never would have found on my own which was great! I was under the impression she spoke a decent amount of English, like the amount of Spanish I do, but her English ability makes my Spanish seem fluent! It was an intense 3 hours trying to figure out how to communicate, but I think it will turn out to be very helpful because it forces me to work on my speaking ability (unlike my friend's intercambio who is fluent in English).

Friday night we went kayaking on the Bilbao river - SO cool! It was an event set up by the city so we got to meet people from locally, Southern Spain, Germany, Canada, Finland, and France. It turned out to be my favorite night here, hands down! We arrived in workout clothes and sweatshirts, assuming we'd get a little wet but wanted to stay warm, and they made us change into these funky wetsuits/jackets (I'll post a picture below) and by the time we got there they only had larges left so it was like we were swimming in them! They were 2 person kayaks though and 4 of us went so that was perfect and the view of the city was gorgeous! Obviously I have no pictures from this event, wasn't going to risk taking my dad's camera out there.

Saturday a group of 6 of us went wine tasting in Haro, a very small town in the Basque country about an hour south of here. The guy who reserved the tour for us told us there were 2 guides, 1 speaking English and 1 speaking Spanish but it turns out it was completely in Spanish! Which was totally understandable/kind of cool, except we only understood about half the information - so don't ask what I learned about the history of the winery or process of making wine! The overall tour was really fascinating to see and at the end we got to do a tasting of 3 of their wines. I liked 2 of them but one was a bit strong so I just put my glass down and ate a bunch of corn nuts haha After that we got lunch in town and hung out for the day, so nice to get away sometimes!

Today is homework/laundry day in preparation for another week of school. However, tomorrow night we are going to a soccer game which I am RIDICULOUSLY excited for :) And, probably even more exciting, my mom gets here THURSDAY!!!!!!! I have a feeling it's going to be a good few weeks :)



No comments:

Post a Comment