Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Night I Fell In Love With Getxo

Hola!

So I was going to wait until Sunday night to create a new post, but after the night I had I just can't wait. After completing 3 hours of homework my friend and I decided we needed out of our apartments so we would go walk around and do a little exploring. What began as a quick tour turned into the best 4 1/2 hours since I got to Spain! Algorta (where I live) seems to be mostly residential so there isn't much to do; beaches and nightlife are all in the sectors north and south of us. Something must have clicked for me today because when we started to get bored I blurted out "let's just get on the metro and see where we end up!" which resulted in us finding Las Arenas - slightly to the south, where my friend Lauren lives. We walked around town for a little and it seemed quaint, sort of a rich people area in our opinion. Then we turned a corner and found a folk festival! It was really cool, but we got there early so we took off on another stroll, this time we ended up at the beach. Description - breathtaking. In my opinion, puts all California beaches to shame. Not only were the views spectacular (we are going back tomorrow and Sunday to tan/go swimming because it's supposed to be really hot the next 3 weeks) but there were teenagers hanging out and entire families walking along the board walk. Amazing. After cruising the beaches (and looking like total tourists in awe) we headed back just as the festival was beginning - and men on stilts were appearing. We found a really fun little bar on the corner of the festival so we stopped in to get a drink - first legal drink! - and then enjoyed some great music! I can honestly say I fell in love with this place, so many things to discover I can't wait! Tomorrow night our program is taking us to the championship game of Jai Alai (don't know what that is - I'll update you when I find out). Miss you all and thanks for following on my adventure with me!




5 comments:

  1. how exciting - adventures you didn't know existed. so proud of you stepping out of your comfort zone & being totally rewarded for it! you are amazing my gorgeous daughter! thanks for the smiles....mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you hit it at the right time. Can't wait to see photos. What was the first "legal" drink? Be careful comparing their beaches to ours!
    Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures uploaded really strange (at least on my end - probably because my internet SUCKS) but hopefully it's enough to get the jyst. I just got a glass of wine while listening to the music - only 1 euro! My kind of deal. Perhaps comparing the beaches was a bad idea, they're both great just so different! Love and miss you both!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's ok variety is the spice of life. Didn't see any waves so I'm still sticking with CA beaches! If I didn't already tell you, I have had a lot of phone calls from people who've been to the blog and think it's wonderful. Keep up the good work. BTW if you click on Share at the top of the page you can send it to Facebook and then it will be on your wall and all of your "friends" will get a notice. Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete